What effect does carnauba wax have on your car paint?
Carnauba wax – is it a necessity or can we live without it?
When it comes to car cleaning products and accessories, the amount of choice can be a bit overwhelming! The latest ‘hero product’ we keep hearing about is carnauba wax, generally used to polish your car and keep your paintwork shiny. If you’re not sure what we’re talking about, we’ll explain it for you, and assess whether it’s worth the hype, or if it could be left on the shelf.
The basics – what you need to know and carnauba wax
- Carnauba wax is a product to be used on the surface of your car’s paintwork, to keep it as glossy and shiny as possible.
- Generally used after a thorough car wash, it can make sure that your car looks as good as it did when you bought it.
- In it’s purest form, it’s a natural substance, but as it is such a hard form of wax, it must be softened by other ingredients in order to work as a car polish – so if you’re looking for a totally natural wax substance, it might not be for you.
- The substance itself derives from the leaves of palm trees only found in Brazil.
- This wax smells like sweets – so maybe give it a try if you’re also on the lookout for a new car air freshener!
Do you really need to use carnauba wax?
As with most car cleaning accessories and products, it’s not a question of whether you need it, more a question of whether you want it!
When you’re using a Chipex car paint touch up kit, there’s not really any need to use carnauba wax – there’s nothing to stop you if it’s a product you like using, but it’s certainly not necessary. That’s because our Chipex touch up paint is specially formulated to match your car’s original paint; so if that is glossy and shiny, so will be the new paint you’ll receive. Secondly, when your Chipex kit arrives, you’ll find that among the many components is our special polish. It’s designed to make sure your fresh car paint (and the paint in the surrounding area) is looking as clean and shiny as possible. So when you factor in both of these elements, you can see that there really is no need to use carnauba wax.
That being said, if you want something that will give all areas of your car an extra shine, go right ahead and use it! As long as you select a formula of the wax that is as soft and gentle as possible, it won’t harm your paintwork and is totally safe to use.
If you would like to find out more about different products and processes that keep your car looking as amazing as possible, check out our Chipex blog for in depth guides and articles! And if you need any more information about our Chipex kits, or how to look after your car, please head over to our FAQ page.